Sunday, November 26, 2006

Printed Calendars

Pitcher plant quilted calendar

I've been working on this project that just keeps taking me a little longer than I'd thought. It's really fun though--it has screen printing and sewing. The print is of a North American pitcher plant, a carnivorous plant whose tubular, trumpet-shaped leaves grow tall and end in a curved ruffle to catch insects

the pitcher part

Elie loves and is rather obsessed with carnivorous plants, so we have many different varieties at our house. They live outside all spring and summer, but they come in to hibernate in the basement in the fall. I find them to be kind of creepy the way that I find most thing in the natural world that pretend to be something that are not kind of creepy (exhibit A: the mantis). I don't like insects that try to pretend they are plants, and there's something I don't like about plants that try to pretend they are bugs. But regardless, I find the pitcher plant quite beautiful.

Pitcher plant in linen

The calendar at the top is screen printed on muslin, then quilted with cotton batting. The one just above is printed in natural linen. If all goes well, I hope to have a few of both in my very own Etsy shop in a few days!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, is there no end to the amazing things you come up with? This is really outstanding.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite picturesque! A little creepy to know what it is, though. I could have gotten by without knowing it digests bugs.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really beautiful!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home