Friday, November 10, 2006

Redwork quilt WIP: Frances

redwork Frances

As promised, another literary character in the redwork quilt. Russell Hoban's Frances stories were probably my favorite books as a little girl. They were the ones I'd take out from the library every week (along with the Blackboard Bear stories). I loved Frances. I got her, and she got me.

One of Frances' signatures is making up little songs to sing to herself. They are sometimes very telling. I do this. I make up lots of little songs, and looking at it now, I can't help but think that it's a little bit of Frances' fault. The little songs were something Elie noticed about me when we first met. He (rightly) thought it made me a humongous dork. He told me later that I was almost written off because of it. Thing is, now I have him singing little songs, and we are humongous dorks together.

Interesting Frances fact: Garth Williams illustrated the first Frances book, but then he was replaced by Russell Hoban's wife, Lillian.

I'm posting the Frances block this week because I got the chance to visit with a real little person named Frances. Her mother is a knitting genius.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh envy! I know the Frances of which you speak. Just got a letter from her mom saying she was heading your way:-)

Love the block. Micaela and I make up lots of dorky little songs together. I've been doing them my whole life; now I've got an accomplice!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea for a quilt... I grew up erading Frances books too, and then read them to my kids...Garth Williams was always my favorite illustrator!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home