Thursday, May 17, 2007

I knock off Boden (again) and become a duck hero

The mini-boden catalog is so fabulously cute I just can't stand it. They come to the house and I look through them again and again, but I have yet to buy anything from Boden. It's not all because of the price, because I'll buy the occasional pricey item, and it's not because I think I can make it all, because I have no desire to try some things, such as tailored pants. I think it is this--I can't really narrow down all the things I like in the catalog to just one or two things. Rather, when I do narrow it down, the one or two items don't look all that special by themselves. What I really like is everything all together. It's the same with the J Crew catalog. If I buy one t-shirt, I know it will not be as satisfying as looking at all the colors of t-shirts lying together in rumpled layers inside the catalog.

But, I did think the apple tshirt was very cute, and worth recreating when Target has these t-shirts for $6. I had to buy some more red fabric. Oh, how it pains my to buy more red fabric. Not.

Also, I'd like you all to know that I saved some ducklings today. Beebs got strep throat, so I left work and was driving around to the dr, pharmacy, whatever. I was stopped at a light in front of Meijer on the road that has all the big box stores when I saw on the side of the road a mama duck and five little ducklings walking toward the street. If you are a person who has ever shared the story, Make Way for Ducklings, with someone special to you, there is no way in heck that you are letting a family of ducks face getting run over while trying to cross the street. I think the people in the car in front of me felt this way too, because the woman in the passenger seat started yelling and shooing the mama duck away. Unfortunately, duckling #5 was a little daft and went on the road anyway. Her mama called for her to come away, but she couldn't because the curb was too high. So mama went to try to rescue her, but of course all the other ducklings followed, and then all the ducklings got stuck on the street. And mama duck could not help them. Oh. So much empathy for the duck mother here. By this point the light had turned and people behind me were beeping and the people in front of me had given up and driven away. So it was up to me to save these ducks. I grabbed a manila envelope from my car (good thing I always have some crap in my car) and used it to scoop the little ducks onto to curb.

Now, it's true that they may have found a way up, but it's also true that ducklings are very dumb and would probably have gone into traffic. And sure, they're just ducks, and sure, they'll probably do it again, but I'm happy that my daughter got to see me save the ducks.

P.S. Ducklings are really cute up close.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it was the shipping. But now I've gotten some emails advertising free shipping. Not sure if it's a promotion or a permanent thing. I bought one pair of ticking striped pants for my daughter and I love them. I've never bought anything for myself but I keep watching the clearance sections and then backing out at the last minute. Something about an international purchase theat seems more weighty somehow.
I have at least 5 back catalog issues in my inspiration pile. They all probably have the same things in them but I can't bear to part with them.
I love your t-shirt!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I ordered my first ever item from Boden just a few days ago the free shipping and returns, until the end of June, got me. Hopefully it will fit!

Love the shirt!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Dannielle said...

Good for you, saving those dicklings! You just made my heart all puffy and my eyes a bit damp!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Zann said...

This should be the new subtitle for your blog:
SAVING THE WORLD, ONE DUCKLING AT A TIME.

You go, girl. And let's hear it for the common manila folder. Not unlike the good old No. 2 pencil --where would we be without them??
Quakers, that's where!
Good work.
Zann

3:06 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Dorie, once again, you proved that YOU ROCK! Seeing her mama save those ducklings will DEFINITELY be one of Beeb's cherished memories!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

I love the polka dots on the apple!

What a great story about you saving the baby ducklings! :)

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home