Thursday, May 31, 2007

worrisome creatures

cicada t

I'm back from our garden/cable ordeal. Thank you all for the commiseration and laughs! The lovely cable company came out and "fixed" the line, by which I mean they came out and strung an entirely new, bight orange, line across the backyard. Oh, whatever.

The 17 year cicadas are coming to Illinois, and this scares the bejesus out of me. I hate em, and they make me want to curl up in a little ball in my house and not come out. I also hate that I hate them, because I know it's lame. We dealt with them when we lived in the DC area 3 years ago, and they were soooooooo bad there. Like, heaps of decaying bodies bad. Friends here are trying to assure me that it doesn't get that bad here, and that this brood might not even be as far south as I am. I hope so. Uhg.

The shirt is Beebs' from the DC brood. Elie, super dad that he is, screened one of these for each kid in Beebs' preschool class. Awesomeness in the face of adversity.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Cicadas...that word scares the bejesus out of me and I live in FL. You will just have to stay in and craft:)

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cicadas. Number One reason I live in NY, after growing up in Illinois. Ugh,ugh,ugh. I feel your pain. Although I am a bit nostalgic for the whirring sound they make on hot summer nights...it makes me think of my grandmother's back porch (Which. was. screened.)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

I have never seen a cicada before in my life and so I am a little freaked about it this summer (we live in IL too). I think I may stay inside all summer:) Definitely not happy about the thought of them...

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that shirt is so totally cool! I saw one on cafe press that I want for myself, but yours is cooler.
We have so many of those little buggers in our yard, and like you, I hate that I hate them, but they still creep me right out.
I read about them on the U of I extension's website and they really are a shot in the arm nutrient-wise for the local ecosystem.
They are also unbearably gross.

2:32 PM  
Blogger erica said...

I remember the noise of them as a kid in Kansas and thought it was so great. Now I'm not so sure about them. They are bugs and since I've married, I'm not too keen on bugs. It will be interesting to see if they make it this far south in IL. Hope they don't freak you out too much!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes. i had forgotten about those cicadas in DC 3 years ago until i read this - we were there visiting for a georgetown graduation. they were everywhere on the ground like you said. totally freaky.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home