Wednesday, June 06, 2007

and in their glorious absence we go into the sun

lotta hat out

After a lot of fretting on my part, I am now happy to confirm that the bugs will not be coming to my neck of the woods this year. We are too far south. I still have another 6 years until ours come up, and I will take that as fair warning. For all of you who are dealing with cicadas right now and are hating it, I am with you in spirit if not in actual proximity to a cicada.

On to better things. This is the Lotta Jansdotter sunhat, made for my mother's mother, Lib. My grandmother has worn a hat when out in the sun for as long as I can recall, and I thought she would like this simple style. She likes things that are pretty in a functional way, and not pink. The hat is natural linen with a blue and green flower lining that came from a bedsheet. My grandmother and flowered bedsheets are funny because of this:

When my grandmother was about to marry my grandfather, her mother (Posey) sat her down and explained that she should never buy flowered bedsheets because men don't like flowered bedsheets. My grandmother thought, well OK--she didn't have any real, pressing desire to have flowered bedsheets. She got married, had children and whenever she needed bedsheets, she picked ones without flowers. Until one day when my grandfather was helping make the bed he said, "do you think we could get some flowered sheets sometime? I really like flowered sheets."

Ahem. When I make this hat for myself, it will be a little bit bigger in the crown.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the simplicity of it. The print is just enough, just the right touch. It seems some people have had a tough time with the pattern/ directions. How about you? I have a big head, so I don't want to mess iy up...

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Silly men. Of course he likes flower bedsheets. Most men do, even if they don't admit it :) Your grandmother will love that beautiful hat!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Monique said...

I love the hat...my favorite sun hat has such a large brim also.
And the sheet story! LOVE it!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

great hat!! I'm just going to have to break down and get that book!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

I like the hat a lot! The story to go with it is even better:)

Is it really true that the cicadas are not going to be coming to southern Illinois? Oh I hope so!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet hat and what a sweet story. It takes a real man to ask for flowered sheets.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the fact that you used flowered bedsheets for her on the lining. funny. the hat looks great.

7:03 AM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

I so need to make that hat... and LOVE the flowered bedsheet story. my gradparents house was chock full of pink... because it was my grandfather's favorite color!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

This hat is super super cute. I need one for my gardening!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hat looks great!
You're lucky about the cicadas. They're making me crazy here. I was willing to live and let live until they started tearing apart my American Yellowwood tree. They've killed several branches of my already tiny and tender tree by trying to lay their icky eggs in it. Argh. Let them die soon, please!
I still want one of those t-shirts!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cure hat, cute story!!!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home